Eighth Grade / 4ème Application Details
Bilingual: Native-level English and French
Students attend a French “Collège” and join the American Section for six hours of native level English language instruction per week (four hours of Literature and two hours of History).
Class Size : two classes of 20 students each (Collège Marcel Roby) and one class of 18-20 (Lycée International).
Estimated number of places available next year: 2 places for French immersion candidates only.
Please note that we will only be able to accept applications for French immersion candidates at this grade level for 2023-2024. Regretfully, we will not have any spaces available for bilingual candidates.
- Age: Candidates must be born in 2010 to enroll in this class (13 years old).
- Level of English: Applicants must possess native-level English (spoken, written, comprehension) to be considered for the program.
- Level of French : Bilingual applicants must provide proof of age-appropriate French. This can be done by providing grade reports from a French school or CNED reports (cours à distance). If these are unavailable, please contact the Admissions Office before applying. Non-Francophones must qualify for the French-immersion program to enter the program.
Foreign Language (Langue Vivante) requirements: A minimum of one additional foreign language is required at this grade level. Students should have at least one year of study in Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese, or Italian. Please check with the Admissions Office for any other options.
Class specific information about the Grade 8 (Quatrième) curriculum is available here.
Applications should be submitted online via the American Section website between December 1 and January 15 for the following school year. After January, please check our website for any further availability at this grade level.
A written test is required for all candidates. An individual interview may be scheduled at a later date for selected candidates as part of a second round of assessments.
- Local candidates: Testing will take place on-site at the Lycée International on Wednesday afternoon February 8, 2023. Details will be sent to candidates on January 23.
- Overseas candidates: Group testing will take place online in January and February. Information will be sent to you once your child’s file has been submitted.
French Immersion/Français Spécial
This is a specialized track for candidates who do not yet speak French or who have very little knowledge of the language (spoken and written). The class is composed of 15-20 new students coming from all over the world. During the first year, French-immersion students will have three objectives: to assimilate a new language, to complete their grade level coursework in that language, and to maintain native-level English. The following year, the French-immersion students must be ready to move into the regular bilingual classes. The FS program is challenging so candidates must possess a strong academic record, good study habits, and a motivation to learn a new language and integrate into a new culture.
Additional eligibility requirement: Due to a recent reform in graduation requirements, we are only able to consider candidates for our French immersion program who have some knowledge of an additional foreign language. Candidates will need to have at least one year of Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Arabic, or Hebrew.
If you are considering this option, we recommend that you contact the Admissions Office to go through details of the program before applying.
Please note that the French-immersion class at this level is run as a combined class of eighth- and ninth-grade students. This can impact the American Section timetable and may require a child to be placed in a higher or a lower grade level for one year.
Campus Placement Options
Collège Marcel Roby Campus
Spaces available for 2023-2024 academic year: 0.
The majority of our Middle School students attend classes on this campus conveniently located in the center of Saint-Germain-en-Laye. The American Section runs two classes per level here with 20 students each. Spanish and Russian section students also attend classes on this site as well as students from the catchment area. We do not expect to have any places availbale for candidates entering 8th grade/4ème on this site next year.
Lycée International Campus
Estimated spaces for the 2023-24 academic year: 2 in French Immersion, 0 for bilingual students.
The American Section runs one class per level on this site. Priority for placement on this campus will go to candidates who qualify for the French-immersion program (FS). Two places are reserved for this track. We will not have any bilingual spaces available on this site next year.
- cover letter
- birth certificate
- dossier d’inscription form
- grade reports (three years including the current year)
- two writing samples
- two recommendations: from the current English teacher and from the Head of School.
- CNED reports (if applicable)
- Curriculum information
Complete instructions are available online once you log in.
- December 1 - January 15 - application file submitted
- February / April - testing
- June - acceptances sent